By going to the right place first time you can get the right treatment from your NHS


A well stocked medicine cabinet will help you deal with many common illnesses.

Keep all medicines out of sight and reach of children and always follow the dosage instructions on the label.  If you have on-going medical conditions such as asthma ensure you have adequate supplies of the medication you require at home.


Your local pharmacist is able to give expert advice without an appointment.  Each Pharmacy has a fully qualified pharmacist available to offer free advice on common ailments, health matters and medicines.  Pharmacists also provide contraception and emergency contraception(the morning after pill).  for local pharmacy contact details please visit http://www.nhs.uk/service-search


It is estimated that almost half of all A&E attendances could have been treated by their GP, a local pharmacist or treated themselves with basic self care, first aid and advice.

Many people automatically go to A&E as soon as they feel ill or have an accident.  This page highlights a range of options to help people get the treatment they need.


If you need medical help fast, but it is not life-threatening, you can call NHS 111, this service is free from landlines and mobiles.  When you call 111 a trained advisor will ask you questions to find out what’s wrong give you medical advice and direct you to someone who can help you, like an out-of-hours doctor or a community nurse.

If the advisor thinks your condition is more serious, they will direct you to hospital or send and ambulance.  If you don’t speak English , tell the advisor what language you want to speak and they will get an interpreter.  You can call 111 any time of the day or night.

Call 111 if you need medical help fast, but it is not life threatening – for example

Think you need to go into hospital?

Don’t know who to call for medical help?

Don’t have a GP to call?

Need medical advice or reassurance about what to do next?

For health needs that are not urgent you should call your GP.


Walk-in Centres are GP led health centres – open from 8.00 am til 8 pm, 7 days a week.  Hartlepool’s walk-in centre is at University Hospital of Hartlepool – please ring 111 who direct to an appointment


For treatment of minor injuries without an appointment, is available at University Hospital of Hartlepool – please ring 111 who will direct you to an appropriate service.

A&E (Accident and Emergency)

A&E is an emergency service that should only be used when people are badly injured or show symptoms of critical illness.

Teeside’s A&E departments are at

University Hospital of North Tees, Hardwick Road, Stockton, TS19 8PE

James Cook University Hospital, Marton Road, Middlesbrough, TS4 3BW

A&E is not for minor injuries such as small bumps and cuts or minor illnesses such as choughs, flu and earache or for illnesses which you have had for a number of days.

CALL 999

999 is an emergency service that should only be used when people are badly injuried or show the symptoms of critical illness.

If you think a patient is suffering from one of the following you must dial 999

Heart Attack

Sudden unexplained shortness of breath

Heavy Bleeding

Unconsciousness (even if the patient has regained consciousness)

Traumatic back/spinal/neck pain